Thursday 9 January 2014

Welcome to Ireland where things are the same but totally different



            It is inevitable when I talk to friends back home in the states, they ask what is different over there? That is a really hard question because at the core of it, Ireland is not that different than the Midwest back home, but there are a TON of small differences, most of which I revel in. I don’t look at anything as “we do it the right way, you do it the wrong way,” for me it is just different, like driving on the other side of the road on the other side of the car. Not a big deal unless someone is coming at you from the other direction then you get angry looks and honks…True story.
Check out those clouds! Maybe rain!
Ohhhh! Mountains AND driving on the other side of the road!
 During the first week I occasionally forgot this, usually when I was panicked on a small road. In the states if you meet someone on a one lane road you pull to the right and let them pass. In Ireland if you pull to the right they look at you like you’re absolutely crazy. Sadly for the first month I would absolutely panic if I was on a small road and another car came my way, sheer terror, I WAS GOING TO DIE (yes we’re back to that), or at least wreck the car. Now I only have mild palpitations and usually remember what side of the road is the correct side to pull off on. That is what I call progress my friends, 6 months and now only mild panic and much smaller swerves! This also may be due to the fact that I actually did wreck the car and didn’t die. 
This is what hit me! Go big or go home, huh?
            Yep, 2 weeks into my new country and I totaled a car! Good news is it was totally not my fault, but when I do something I do it all the way, and usually when Matt is out of town. Matt had a meeting in Switzerland (yep, %&$*! 2 weeks in the country he abandons me to frolic with cows in Switzerland!) that was planned before we moved over. The original plan would have put us in Ireland at the end of May or the beginning of June and he took off at the end of the month, instead we arrived June 17th, half way through the month meaning he was leaving 2 weeks later. I’m pretty sure this was strategically planned because this was also when our 32 boxes were scheduled to arrive so he got out of box duty as well. So the Friday he got back I was on my way back to Cork stopped in traffic when a Semi-truck (they call it a Lorry, see subtle differences) plowed into the back of my little Toyota Yaris Verso. BOOM! Glass flying everywhere but due to my seatbelt I didn’t go anywhere.  I pop out of my car, a bit shell shocked but didn’t want to be the ugly American screaming curse words at the other driver like I normally would. So I kept my cool and hopped out to survey the damage. 
Crunch!



About this time a man driving the opposite direction pulled up screaming, “Take my number!”  I had no idea who this person was or why I wanted his number. “TAKE MY NUMBER!!!” I finally stammered, “Why?” He then proceeds to tell me I’ve been in an accident. Well yes, this was clearly something I understood since my car was missing most of its back end, but why do I want your number???  “As a witness! I saw the whole thing!” WOW! So this guy screaming at me is doing so because he’s an awesome Good Samaritan who is going to act as a witness in case I need one? So I put his number into my phone as “Witness” because he never gave me his name.  
Ok, so I could now call a witness but since I was so new to the country I had no idea how to call the cops! Do you call the cops here when there is a no injury accident? The Lorry driver got out as well and looked like he couldn’t be a day over 18 years old. We decided to get off the road and pull into the nearby gas station (petrol station), but I have no idea what the protocol is for car accidents in Ireland. Something strange about me is rather than go into all out panic when stuff happens; I get very calm and usually can get through without too much drama. Let me set the scene for you as to why this is important. I have been in the country for 2 weeks, my husband is in another country, and the only other person’s phone number I know is my boss who is on holiday (vacation), ICBF (no one is answering), and I don’t even know how to call the cops to report this, I am all on my own on this one.  The lorry driver kept apologizing which was sweet, but I was more interested in getting pictures and insurance information and following appropriate protocol for accidents in another country even though I didn’t know what that protocol was.  Finally after the 10th time of the kid saying, “He had such a fright” when HE hit ME the ugly American reared its ugly head and I told him that I wasn’t crying or freaking out, was all alone in this country, and he needed to MAN UP so we could get this done.  So much for hiding my ugly American, but you hit ME, why are you scared? Oh well, he was a nice boy and after talking to his boss, exchanging insurance information, and taking a number of pictures, finally getting ahold of Matt, who was in a Swiss Airport, and crying hysterically at him for about 5 minutes (I loose composure when I am finally out of danger), I limped home in my smushed car.  5 hours later the guy that hit me called just to make sure I got home OK. This is why I love living here!
Another example of wonky driving in Cork. That is a Horse Box (aka horse trailer) made out of plywood driving around the city
You may or may not know this, but it rains in Ireland, a lot, so having no back window in my car was a bit of concern. I figured no one was going to try to steal it in that condition nor did I believe people did steal in this country at the time, so now what? Enlist the help of my brand new neighbors! Ben and Mary are the most fascinating people I’ve ever met. He is German and grew up during WWII and restores WWII era motorcycles, Mary is Irish, an Ex-physiotherapist (not fully sure what this is) and they met in Canada. Over the past 6 months we’ve been to their house a few times with the intention of “just stopping by” and end up there for hours because they really are the coolest neighbor in the whole world. Mary has even helped me learn to knit though I’m still really awful at it. Anyways, back to my sadly damaged car. I went next store to request a tarp I could use to block the window. Tarp didn’t translate, apparently the full word is Tarpaulin and that is what I required. A bit later Ben showed up with some heavy duty plastic and proceeded to help me tape it into my car. Have I mentioned I love these people?  Earlier in the week all of our boxes showed up at the house, all 32 of them. A man in a truck showed up at my house, picked up the pallets and dropped them in my driveway. Some of the boxes were in good shape, other… Well, let’s just say they were not fully intact and were leaking items out of them including a small laptop and a pair of tweezers which the truck driver astutely pointed out was probably for my eyebrows. Guess I was looking a bit rough…
The stacks. All 32 boxes, my whole life except for a 10X10 storage unit in Sedalia
Huh, Guess this one was checked by Customs? Pretty sure nothing was missing, but I guess I'll never know
My two favorite mugs and a couple picture frames were casualties to the move :-( I got these at the Maryland Ren Fest and don't think I'll ever have others like them. Sadness!

Broken mug, broken heart
Since Matt was out of town, Ben came out and supervised the whole thing to make sure the guy didn’t try any funny stuff and then offered to lend me their hand truck (dolly) and a hand if I need it but there was no way I was going to ask my adorable 80 year old neighbor to help me lug in these boxes into the house. This left me with 2 options, wait 2 days until Matt got back and have him help me bring all the boxes in or pull on my big girl pants and do it all myself. With the possibility of rain, and the uncertainty as to which boxes held electronics, I decided to bring them all in myself. After retrieving the hand truck I realized there was a small issue, actually 2 small issues. Steps leading into the door don’t work really well with a dolly. So off I went to B &Q (Irish Home Depot, same color scheme and everything!) to get a ramp, aka a big piece of plywood. After eye balling the length of board I needed so that the angle of incline wasn’t too much (can you tell I’m an engineer’s daughter?) I found what I needed, struggled to shove it into our clown car and back home to haul the boxes in. Again, pretty sure Matt planned this trip on purpose…  3 hours later I had all the boxes inside in a giant pile in the office/dining room and could commence operation Christmas in June, aka unpacking all my worldly goods I forgot I had. By the time Matt got home all but 5 boxes had been unpacked and we had a mostly put together house. I was feeling pretty accomplished and good about my first time alone in this new country until 2 days later when I got hit by the truck. Eh, I got a newer car out of it and it makes for an entertaining story, so not so bad, and I get to look at this nearly every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment