Friday 21 November 2014

A Hunting we will go! Or, um, er.. make that A hunting I will go?



I have already regaled you all with my tale of getting into fox hunting and how wonderful everyone has been in this fantastic community (click here for the last story), but everything I have said before has led up to the apex of my horsey life- Fox hunting in Ireland. I’ve been dreaming of this ever since I was a small child wide-eyed at the pictures of the magnificent riders in red coats, the beautiful ladies riding sidesaddle chasing across the country to the hounds soundlessly crying out on my walls.  My appetite was whetted in Maryland where Matt and I rode with the Goshen hounds. They are a very inclusive club and had a spot for everyone. Want to run like the wind and jump anything in site? First field for you! Want to get a good gallop or canter in with smaller jumps and a bit of maneuvering? Second field for you! Finally, do you want to watch the hounds work from above and take it easy learning the way of the sport? Then it is 3rd field for you! 
Matt and I all dressed up for a fun day in 3rd field with the Goshen Hounds with our trusty horses Bailey and Izzy.
Matt and I rode primarily in 3rd field unless there were only 2 fields that day so we rode second field way in the back because Matt was very new to horses and I wanted him to have the best eexperience possible. The joke was that we were both like bad pennies, we always turned up.  Coming to Ireland I knew that the hunting was different. While in the Maryland there were lots of stubble fields, woods, and coops (triangle shaped jumps), along with “natural jumps/obstacles” (logs that fell down and creeks) that we have to get around, I knew Ireland was full of things called, banks, ditches, and drains but had no idea what this actually meant. To prepare for our future endeavors as Irish fox hunters Matt and I took some lessons at a local riding school so Matt could learn how to jump and I could gain some confidence back. If you’re ever in Kinsale, Cork Ireland, I HIGHLY recommend Kinsale Equestrian Center! Zoe is AMAZING! After about 8 months of lessons we were both in better shape and better riders, though I was still more than a bit chicken over jumps. After a few high-velocity emergency dismounts that ended in lots of pain and broken stuff, I have a hard time trusting that I’ll make it safely onto the other side of a jump while still on my horse and without a bucking fit as the piece de la resistance. But after the 8 months we decided it was time to purchase horses for hunting.
Our criteria was not very long, we wanted something old enough to know better, 8-14 yrs old sounded about right. We wanted something that had hunted before because if we were going to be inexperienced hunters, we wanted horses who were smart enough and had done it enough to make up for our lack of experience. I wanted a short horse so that it was less of a distance to get on or possibly fall off. What can I say, I’m always thinking ahead! Lastly we wanted horses that were affordable so that we would have enough money left over to be able to house, feed, and clothe them according to the lifestyle I think they should have.  We were very lucky to find 2 horses that fit this criteria very well after a few interesting tests. The first horse we tried for Matt decided he missed his pony friends and took off like a bat out of hell with me holding on for dear life. Yes, you heard that right, me holding onto the horse that was supposed to be for Matt. Why was I on this horse you ask? Because I’m the more experienced rider and hopped on all horses first before I let my precious husband get on. So as this 17hh horse hurtles faster and faster towards his barn with no breaks or notice of me on his back I had pretty much so decided this guy was probably not for Matt. The horse did eventually stop and once his pony was allowed out with him he behaved very well so Matt thought he was grand! Didn’t I think he was great?!? No dear, this one is not for you.  This was just the first of 2 horses who ran away with me while I gave them a try. Needless to say none of them came home with us.  But then I met Millie.
Does this horse make my butt look big?
Millie was advertised as the safest mare in the world and completely bomb proof. She was 12 years old, hunted for many seasons and the kid who owned her wanted something with a bit more pep. Perfect for me! I rode her up and down his road and she was a gem! So we made a deal for her and took her home for a 2 week trial. Around this same time one of the members of South Union Foxhounds mentioned he was selling his horse whom I had seen many times hunting last year. Rocky was a rock star in the hunt field and seemed like a good match for Matt. Too slow as a whips horse, but knows his job in the field. So after about 2 months of looking we found our mounts and it was time to get to know them.   
 
Welcome home Millie and Rocky!!! I swear she's not that short! It's just the angle and the tall grass!
Millie being a typical mare decided that she needed to immediately go into raging heat and shake her bon-bon at Rocky nearly any chance she got. Rocky seemed confused by the whole matter and ignored her at first. Once he realized what in the world she was about, as soon as she waggled her lady bits at him he’d drop his man-parts and waggle them back at her much to my chagrin. This was further embarrassing because they seemed to do this most often when the neighbor’s kids came over to visit. What’s he doing? Oh never mind, that’s how they say hi, kind of like when dogs sniff each other’s butts. Yes, she did just try to pee on his nose… I’ve got nothing. 
Hi Handsome! You seem interesting!
Actually I hate you now and am pinning my ears because I am a fickle mare!

Right away Matt and I started taking them out on treks around the roads nearby and after a few fields were harvested our kind neighbors allowed us to take the horses into the field and get in a good canter or two. 
One of the views from our hacks around the area
Things were shaping up well and we were right on track for opening hunt in November. We applied for full membership to the club and were graciously given an “Intro to hunting” meeting with a member who was sponsoring us. Many of the rules of hunting were the same in Ireland as they are in the states though some of the terms are a bit different so I was glad of the lesson! The weekend before opening hunt Matt and I stumbled across a “practice bank” where we could leap up into one of the neighbor’s fields. Ah ha! A great place to practice banks! We leapt up into the field and away we could go! Millie and I sized up the bank and took our leap. Two bunny hops up and Millie and I were up! Before I could congratulate myself on my first bank Matt and Rocky came crashing up. This not only surprised me, but Matt as well. Turns out Rocky REALLY doesn’t like being left behind.  To see if Millie had the same predilection Matt and I went around and he tried the bank first on Rocky. After he went up, Millie hung around with me at the bottom as if she had nothing better to do than stand around and chew on my boots. Did I mention that the way she makes her boredom known is to turn around and nibble at my feet? Oh, well that’s her way of saying she’s annoyed at me. She has more personality than most humans I know and knows how to express herself very well. Her main expression is, “FEED ME NOW OR FEEL MY PONY FURY!!” which I’ve come to understand is the typical battle cry of most mares.  I took her nonchalance as a good sign and edged her towards the bank where she scaled it like a cat and we went on our merry way.  What have I been worried about? These banks are easy! Well, at least that’s what I thought…
Millie gives the stink ear when she's eating. No she is not sharing... EVER!
Fast forward to the day before opening hunt, and I’m a bundle of nerves. Sweet God, what had I gotten us into? Will we die? I bought one of the newest safety features in horse riding called a HitAir Vest which is like an airbag for your horse. When you and your horse unintentionally part company, a rip cord is pulled and POP! You now have an airbag that goes around your neck, back, and ribs! Brilliant! 
 
Me modeling the latest in safety gear  for horses over my hunt coat of course! Might as well get the whole picture!

While hunting is always a bit of a dangerous sport, this will at least make it a little less traumatic.  I had shaved both horses the day before taking nearly 3 hours for both of them and it was time for them to get a bath so they’d be sparkling clean and plaited ( pronounced- platted). This summer we purchased a wonderful device called a “hot water boy” on the recommendation of a friend. When I heard the name I was actually hoping we were getting a housemate, but it turns out it’s just a little box that heats water so the horses get a nice warm shower no matter what the weather is outside.  
What I thought I was getting on the left and what really came on the Right. Sometimes the names just don't live up to the expectation. Think I can sue for false advertising?
 While Millie wasn’t thrilled about her bath she was a good girl and let me wash her up only turning around to bite me on the butt once, once again a trade mark of her people. 
While technically a Connemara pony (though she is horse size at 15.2hh) I'm pretty sure a sheep got into her lineage at some point. This is only after observing the amount of hair I was able to shave off her as you can see above.
After I went inside to get a couple of things ready, Matt began washing Rocky. About 10 minutes later I hear, Whoa, Whoa, WHOA! AAARRGGGHHH!!!!! BANG!! S&#$!!!! ROCKY!!!!!! Rocky pulled back on his halter, broke a board which scared him to death and caused him to run away. Matt went after him and I grabbed Millie thinking he might come back to his girlfriend. After what seemed like forever, we caught him and brought him back to the stable where I immediately checked him over. Poor baby was so scared! Matt popped by and mentioned we may need to go to the hospital because it turns out while Rocky was fine, Matt’s middle finger was bent at a weird angle and he was bleeding pretty soundly. Whoops probably should have checked the husband as well as the horse, but I just assumed he could take care of himself. Our ever kind and patient neighbors helped get him cleaned up and told me where the nearest Swift Clinic was.  So rather than finishing up the horses, off we went to the clinic. 2 X-rays and 3 hours later we were back and Matt was diagnosed with 2 fractured fingers and some pretty nasty skin wounds from God knows what. I insisted they give him a tetanus shot just in case and off we went back home.
 
Hey there grossly swollen finger! Oh and that chunk taken out on the right side? Not a bother, right?

Umm, that middle finger is supposed to be straight, not curved like that. Ouch!

Hard to see on the ring finger, but a tiny fraction on the top flange and it's easier to see it on the middle finger.

 While all of this was going on Matt kept insisting that I stick with the plan and go hunting myself and he’d follow on foot.  I had no idea what to do, but since this is already pretty long…TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment